Powered by Blogger.

Smooth water

Thursday, September 12, 2013


Today I'd like to share a long exposure photo I took last year on Fuerteventura island during one beautiful sunrise. The sea was really really rough as it was high tide. The waves hit the rocks with great anger splashing water all around me (and almost stealing tripod with my camera by hitting it directly). It was a really dynamic scene. But I had another idea for it. I decided that I would prefer something more calm and tranquil. So I put ND400 neutral density on my lens (it stops about 9 EV), set very slow aperture and long exposure (80 seconds). This way I tamed the sea. I made it calm. When I photographed this scene I could hear roaring sounds of waves hitting lava rocks. But when I look at this picture I hear no sound. It's more about silence :) It's so easy to cheat with photography :)

If you would like to learn more about smooth water effect, read my tutorial about it.

Technical details:
Camera: Canon 5D MK II
Lens: Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
Focal length: 47 mm
Aperture: f/22.0
Exposure time: 80 s
ISO: 100
Number of exposures: 1
E.V. Step: n/a
Flash used: no
Tripod: yes
Filters: ND400 neutral density filter
Technique: exposure fusion, luminosity masks
Software: Magic Lantern 2.3, Lightroom 5.0, Photoshop CC

Share this article on :
 
© Copyright 2011 Photoshop and Photography All Rights Reserved.
Free Templates by Cool Blogger Tutorials- Powered by Blogger.com.