Powered by Blogger.

Tutorial: How to take photos of the stars - part 3. Post-processing

Monday, March 4, 2013


In this part of the series I will show you how to process an astrophoto to get such a result as above.
It took me very long time but finally here is part 3 of my tutorial about shooting stars. There might be 1 more in the future but we shall see.
If you haven't already read:
  1. Part 1. Which discusses equipment and shooting regular starry sky.
  2. Part 2. Which focuses on taking photos of star trails.
  3. My other tutorials.
Straight out of the camera (SOOC) image will rarely look good.  Astrophotography is no different. Professional and advanced astrophotographers employ a number of techniques like dark frames, flat frames, light frames and bias frames for best and noise-free image quality. But as they shoot distant galaxies they use much longer exposures and basically deal with a lot more issues. I won't go into that. Why? Because I'm landscape photographer, occasionally shooting stars to show their beauty as the background for our earthly landscapes. I'm not shooting stars just to show them but to use them to create certain mood or atmosphere.

In previous parts I discussed techniques I use when shooting stars in the field. However, when I'm back home I usually spent quite a lot of time post-processing them. In this tutorial I will focus on this aspect. However, as describing it with words is rather difficult I decided to record a video tutorial which shows some of adjustments I make on an example photo:


Share this article on :
 
© Copyright 2011 Photoshop and Photography All Rights Reserved.
Free Templates by Cool Blogger Tutorials- Powered by Blogger.com.