Powered by Blogger.

Hot news from Magic Lantern - improved Dynamic Range!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013


I didn't have a chance to test this update from Magic Lantern yet so instead of a test photo I'm posting one that is hot :) Literally.
I'm normally not sharing any news from the photography world but I think this one deserves breaking the rules. Guys at Magic Lantern team have just managed to improve dynamic range of 2 cameras: 5D MK III and 7D! First one is now capable of capturing 14 stops of light (that's right - 14 EV, like Nikon D800!) instead of its standard 10 - 11 stops. Huge improvement. What's more you can use this feature both for stills and video in case of 5D MK III (only for stills in case of 7D though). I can't wait to test it out.

You can read whole discussion on the Magic Lantern forum. There are a few samples showing the difference there. There is also a whitepaper detailing how all this was done. You can read this PDF here.

But as there is no rose without a thorn, there is a price to pay for this:
  • half resolution in highlights and shadows,
  • aliasing and moire artifacts,
For me reduced resolution might be a problem but I have to check the build to tell if it's really that bad. Also I'm pretty sure Alex and the rest will finally manage to get over it somehow.

Share this article on :
 
© Copyright 2011 Photoshop and Photography All Rights Reserved.
Free Templates by Cool Blogger Tutorials- Powered by Blogger.com.